Saturday, January 7, 2012

You got some religious bigotry in your game...

I've become alarmed and rather frustrated with a bunch of games lately that I find are full of Anti-Christian and Anti-Jewish bigotry. I've been looking for a new roleplaying game to get a group together that isn't D&D or Shadowrun third edition. I see a lot of otherwise great games ruined by their bigotry towards most of the people of the world.


Eclipse Phase is a futuristic game that states that all Christians and Jews are wiped out in the future. Also, all the worlds minor eastern religions and even Islam are represented... what? So playing as written you can play a futuristic Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Hari Krishna but we have to tweak the setting for my Christian and Jewish friends to play?  Deadlands, Christians and White Men are the root cause of all evil in a very dark setting. Warhammer? Sadly one of the most religiously neutral games I can think of besides Shadowrun is the World of Darkness setting, which seems rather crazy to me as I think of it as the least appealing to religious gamers.

I'm not looking for a game with a religious setting, in fact quite the opposite as that would cause the same problems I'm having with anti-religious settings and feeling as a buyer that I shouldn't have to tweak the official setting in these ways. What I want is a RPG like Shadowrun 1st edition which is completely religiously neutral. In High School I used to play Shadowrun with Christians, Atheists, Agnostics, one Buddhist and one Jew and it was easy because the setting didn't try to trample anyone's beliefs. While I might understand from a business standpoint the calculated hostility towards even Islam or Judaism (as you don't expect a lot of Jews or Muslims to play role playing games, it is almost like Weird Al targeting the Amish in his music) but the great majority of the U.S. population considers themselves Christian of some sort.  So why do so many gaming companies (particularly U.S. ones) thrill in putting their bigotry towards mainstream religious groups on display? Why in a country founded for and proud of Freedom of Religion does our gaming producing culture not reflect it by being respectful of if not all people's religious beliefs at least the ones that make up most of the retail market in the U.S.?

Would you plan a business and intentionally go after a religious or political group that would otherwise likely to be a potentially large part of your customer base? It just seems crazy to me.

No comments: