Thursday, February 22, 2007

Fond and Not-so-fond memories

There are many games I keep checking out and thinking about again. When I get addicted to some I don't think I ever get cured, I just get tired of it or sometimes I hate something about it so much I just have to leave for my own health.

Anarchy Online is certainly one of those, the first MMORPG I played. It is how I developed my alter ego because I had to look for a name that wasn't taken when I started playing. So I picked the name Sallust for the first time thinking of my favorite Roman author. I stumbled upon a unique name that has become a staple moniker for all games I play online. This is also where I formed the guild The Pilgrims as a roleplaying guild, and many of the members have played together in various games though I don't believe there is any active group left still bearing that name. I started playing because of the unique story and the online roleplaying primarily, and kept coming back because of the excellent community I became a part of in the game.



Eventually I had nothing I felt was worth the work that continuing playing had become and a serious harassment complaint was not taken seriously by the company. So I left for greener pastures along with a few of the guild I had been a part of.

I've poked my head back in a few times briefly and I'm tempted to do so again. The player (Shadowgod) I handed the guild leadership off to has become a leader of the "class" community we played. Plus it is interesting to stop and talk to the people who still haven't moved on after all these years. I know that the game story has been completely stagnant and that essentially nothing has changed for the MP class I played. But like visiting your old childhood home I'm tempted to go back and see what has and hasn't changed.

No comments: