Friday, February 16, 2007

Lord of the Rings Online!!!

My Non-Disclosure agreement is lifted and I can admit to being a beta tester of this fabolous MMO from the first day of beta. That said I quit well before NDA was lifted, probably about the end of December.

I didn't quit because the game sucked. It was one of the best betas among many that I've ever been a part of. The game itself is excellent and the graphics and sound is spectacular. As a Tolkien lover I found the game was really well set with a lot of attention paid to detail and getting it right. Tolkien snobs will be just fine and I predict this game will draw in a horde of people who've never tried a MMO before.

That said I did quit and won't play the game at release. The problem for me is that I'm an old MMO player and I'm looking for something new in terms of mechanics and gameplay. While Monster play and the LotrO classes are unique, it just isn't nearly enough for me.

If you just want to play in middle-earth or play another EQ/WoW style game done right then play this game.

If you're looking for something different in terms of gameplay or the next "generation" of MMO then look somewhere else. Another than a nice twist on classes and PvP this game doesn't have anything remotely new to offer.

I expect this game will be Turbine's biggest success in the MMO market by far, their previous games don't light a candle to LotrO. I expect this game will be more successful than EQ2 and has the potential to rival WoW in time if after game development is good (it won't rival it at launch). I personally simply have no interest in playing that type of game and I AM looking for the next new MMO that wants to do things differently and not follow in the EQ mold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.