Saturday, April 11, 2009

Final Fantasy Online & Stardock

Well I tried a free trial of Final Fantasy Online. I'd heard a lot about this game and long wanted to try it but never got into it.

I got a character to level 2 and I just don't think I can log in again. The controls for the PC are awful and counter-intuitive. The game was obviously designed for console first with PC being an afterthought. The game is difficult to learn and often very frustrating. Combat is painful and unrewarding. I'm very grateful for the ways in which modern MMOs have progressed.

It makes me think that any Console MMO is just not a good way to go. Too much is sacrificed to produce a quality game that can appeal to enough people. Obviously the biggest MMO out there is PC only, the only advantage to the console is getting that ever decreasing market of people who own a console platform but not a computer. How many people is that in this day and age? How many fewer of them are there every year?

I powered up Galactic Civilizations 2 again recently. That game has staying power. Picked a different race and with the expansions I have for Gal Civ 2 it becomes a very different game and breathes new life into it.

Most of my play time has been spent on a couple games that are still in development. So a lot more going on I can't write about. It may all come to a screeching halt between my son being born hopefully within this week and a job interview I have this week with a household name corporation.

No comments: