Monday, May 4, 2009

Lawbound

Runebound 2nd edition is a lot of fun. Taking legal action against your landlord because they're evicting you for having a kid is not.

Our apartment manager decided suddenly that our newborn is a violation of occupancy limits and gave us an eviction notice (which points to a non-existent clause in our lease). I'm certain it has nothing to do with the fact that our downstairs neighbor has been complaining if she ever hears a kid. We're talking noon - 6pm range, our kids go to bed at 8pm and by complaining I mean she grabs objects and thumps on her ceiling loudly and writes frequent letters to the management. Now you're probably imagining those apartments from hell that we've all lived in with paper thin walls, we generally have to be paying attention to hear the teenager up above us jumping up and down. So while I imagine our 2.5 year old and almost 4 year old are audible, how bad is it? Bad enough evidently that they asked us to change apartments and when I told them we'd do it if they compensated moving expenses they change their mind and decided we'd have to move out or be evicted when my pregnant wife had our son. Should I add that the manager avoids talking to me and comes and harassed my wife about all this as soon as I'd leave for my last job? Now that I got laid off he never stops by any more. I just had explained in detail to me today that there wasn't a more clear-cut case of family discrimination and harassment unless they had publicly advertised it.

But the good news? I have a follow-up interview tomorrow with a local game company for a Game tester position I'm excited about.

Runebound 2nd edition is a game from Fantasy Flight that I had heard raved about by some fans of Arkham Horror. Being another fan of Arkham Horror I was intrigued by this fantasy board game and I'm glad I was.

It is your classic fantasy trope on a board game. I'd call it Dungeons & Dragons in flavor but without bad and intermittent roleplaying or super heavy crunch. In fact this game is easier to start than Arkham Horror and can be played cooperatively or competitively by choice. You choose your hero, give him 3 coin tokens and start off finding and fighting monsters to unlock what threatens the land and defeat it. Along the way you can spend coin on items and allies to help your adventures. You can trade with fellow players if you meet up with them... or fight them. Another big seller for me is that there are lots of little card expansions for the game that cost $6 - $11. Add new monsters, new items, or expand character abilities for a relatively small amount. It is for 1 to 6 players and if it sounds interesting then it is probably worth giving a try.

No comments: