Friday, July 3, 2009

Summer Funemployed or Unemployed?

I know friends and family are having discussions about whether I'm playing away the summer or working away the summer. Some of both, though I'm mostly parenting away the summer.

3 Kids, looking for work, fighting off eviction on account of discrimination against families. Ugh.

So there has been a lot of discussion about the housing issue this week. Back and forth through a middle man. Initially the owner refused mediation, now that they're realizing it could mean a government lawsuit... they're throwing peanuts at us. Basically it comes down to this, he violated state law but it is technically in the contract that he can evict tenants for having kids (change in occupancy). But it would come down to a jury trial, so I'd have to hope there were some good government lawyers on our side... not something I really want to risk my family's future on. But I probably won't have a choice because the $850 they're offering us to move won't pay for it. That will pay for a deposit on a new apartment in Seattle if we're lucky and they don't ask for last month's rent in addition. My unemployment covers our bills with $0 left over for discretionary spending so anything that comes up forces us to find creative solutions or go begging for help. Few places are even willing to take people on unemployment unless they cough up a bigger deposit up front.

Hopefully a new job position goes my way soon and all this will become trivial but I've not been able to overcome the odds in the last 4 months so far.

So what have I been playing? I've not been doing the two betas as much and I'm not playing any MMOs at the moment. Hopefully that will change soon as the betas for both games are changing phases. I plan on applying for another beta tomorrow (paid) for another table top board game in development locally.

Speaking of games in development for all you VOR fans. I can assure you that Skuzz is hard at work and trying to get something exciting out before Gencon. No details because things can always fall apart but I think the potential hype factor is rather nice on this one. In my opinion at least as good as Skuzz coming out of hiding and announcing development on Vor 2.0

Might make up for the slow summer release of PC games. Not a bad thing considering I couldn't buy any anyways. Nintendo on the other hand



any idea how long I've been waiting for a real sword fighting emulator? Ever since my last day of fencing class senior year in college.

Someone hire me already so I can do my part for the economy!

No comments: