Tuesday, September 8, 2009

More PAX coverage in which I also pick on EA

I'm glad for labor day after PAX. It is so intense, especially when you take an excited kid on the second day. One thing I certainly noticed about PAX this year though was that families and women made up a much higher percentage of the demographic. 5 years ago there was about one girl out of every ten or twenty attendees. Now it is more like one out of four.

I noticed EA didn't have their "Sin to Win" contest. As I'd said I wondered if they'd try it at PAX after the previous disasters at E3 and Comic-con. The PAX crowd would mob them if they did and so they finally appeared to have dropped this idiotic promotion. EA itself was kind of low-key and swallowed up by the great displays from subsidiaries Mythic and Bioware. Maybe they could take a few lessons from them on how to promote a game? Honestly I had trouble finding EA until I realized that what was next to the Diablo III booth was Dante's Inferno and not a continuation of Diablo III.

By the way I have to contrast this with Turbine who had a Succubus themed contest for D&D online. They got a booth babe (Pictured on the right) who was both devilish looking without sinking to below-the-groin sleaze. On that note I should also announce for all of those interested in a free-to-play MMO that D&D online is now free to play. Extra content can be bought with micro transactions (consider yourself advised) but you can enjoy all of the basic game for free. Get on board soon because I'm sure their subscription levels are going to shoot through the roof.

The second part of the PAX "Legend of Neil" panel is now up on Youtube if you enjoy that kind of crass humor, you sicko. I noticed that episode 4 is late. Stop slacking Sandeep! Also, Comedy Central you need to get these guys like an actual budget. Speaking of budgets... I'm sorry to say that I filled up my cameras only memory chip after this part so it doesn't continue on. Feel free to email me about a financial contribution if you'd like to make sure this doesn't happen again (I wish).

P.S. - Felicia Day is still a traitor for going to that other Con instead of PAX this year

No comments: